Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Spotlight: Stacie Greene

Stacie Greene, Young Audiences Visual Art Teaching Artist



Stacie Greene, National School District In-School Residency
Many of you have seen this picture, either on the Young Audiences website, on the Arts Education Resource Organization (AERO) website, in our newsletters, or hung on the walls at our events.  But who is the teaching artist in this picture?  Why do we love this photo?

Stacie Greene began with Young Audiences in 2006 and has been a sought after teaching artist ever since.  Currently she is teaching residencies in National City, SD Unified and Lemon Grove.  This picture showcases Stacie's intimate and endearing teaching style, her mastery of the history and elements of art, and her attention to providing a hands-on, technique-based residency.



Student Projects From Stacie's Residencies:



Cambodian Monuments from Recycled Materials: Dana Middle
Cultural Heroes Mural: Monterey Heights Elementary
Perpective: Ocean Beach Elementary


Multi Cultural Textiles Mural: Mount Vernon Elementary

Why did you become a teaching artist?

I love that I get to teach art to children who might not other wise have any exposure.

My hope is to plant a creative seed in the short time I’m with them, that will help them see and experience the world in a new way. Also a new avenue of self expression.  I see every week, every class, how thirsty these kids are for art. 


What quality is most important for you as a teaching artist?

Flexibilty!  I work with such diverse populations in terms of age, learning needs, and cultures in diverse settings.  I am constantly adapting my curriculum, my teaching, and my own expectations to meet the needs of the students I serve.


What do you like about working with Young Audiences?

I really appreciate the freedom we have as teaching artists to explore and try new things.  In one of my residencies at Dana Middle School (picture above) I worked with students to create large-scale cambodian monument sculptures using recycled materials.   I had a personal interest in Cambodian art and culture and was able to bring this passion and learning opportunity to my students.  I have never worked for another organization that allowed me this much freedom.  Having the opportunity to explore a wide range of projects gives me a chance to challenge myself personally and professionally.  This is rare...and I get paid for it!


Share with us some favorite memories in your teaching.

I was teaching in National City, when at the end of one of my classes a child ran up to me and said, "I'll pay you $1 if you can stay here all year!"  This memory always makes me laugh.

I was teaching a simple exercise on line and shape for kinder by having students trace their hands overlapping on a sheet of paper and then looking for what they saw.  When I walked around talking to students one child shared that he saw an ocean, a swan... next thing I knew he had inspired the whole class to begin hunting for abstract images.  The residency turned into a storytelling residency with students sharing imaginative creations.  I was humbled and amazed to witness this.  It was so beautiful.



What interests you right now..

Currently I am exploring endagered birds.  I have been focusing on birds that have become extict during my life time.  I have been creating pieces that are inspired by this using found materials.  I have a series of pieces on sound holes from Taylor guitar Company.  You can see these in my upcoming show, Origins.


Where can we see your professional work?


Origins
Solo show at Next Door Gallery
in South Park 
March 16-May 4th, 2013
Opening Reception: March 23 from 6-9pm 

Cell: Maori 3

No comments:

Post a Comment